Setting the scene in the room
Suspended pendant lights come in a wide variety of shapes, colours or materials. Let us enlighten you regarding the most important selection criteria.
Reasons for choosing a pendant light:
- They are a decorative lighting option.
- They are particularly effective - visually and in terms of lighting - above tables or work surfaces.
- High rooms have an even greater effect with an impressive pendant light.
- They create a friendly ambiance and bring a lively element into any interior.
- Different materials such as wood, metal, textile or glass can be combined.
- Their light is suitable for basic illumination as well as targeted lighting.
- Whether in private interiors, offices or commercial spaces - they always set accents.
- Suspension height can be individually adjusted with many pendant lamps.
- They are a fashionable home accessory in bedrooms above bedside tables.
- They are available in single-flame, double-flame or multi-flame versions for ideal illumination.
Choosing the right pendant luminaire
Suspended luminaires according to intended lighting type
Pendant luminaires exist for a broad rangeof lighting types and requirements. The exact choice depends on where the lamp will be installed and which use is intended. If the room already has good basic illumination, a pendant light can provide additional accent lighting for example above for your dining table making dining or games evenings easier on the eye.
How can I tell what the lighting effect will be like?
- If the pendant luminaire has no shade or an open shade - as for instance metal cages - light is radiated in all directions and thus serves as basic illumination.
- A completely opaque shade made of metal opening downwards shines light only onto the area directly below it, leaving all surroundings in the dark. This is a way of creating a cocoon-like cosiness at the dining table.
- Milky glass has the advantage of producing a pleasantly soft light that does not dazzle.
Tip: If your pendant luminaire is dimmable, you can play with different lighting moods and always adjust light intensity. You can find out whether your desired pendant luminaire is dimmable in the product description.
The right height for pendant luminaires
Suspended luminaires are suitable for a many different interior settings. How low your pendant luminaire should hang depends on its exact placement.
How low should a pendant luminaire hang?
- In dining rooms above the dining table, the luminaire's lowest point should maintain a distance of about 80 - 100 centimetres above the table surface. It is important that the luminaire does not interfere with your view of the person sitting opposite you, that you do not bump your head when standing up and that it does not hang too low above the table.
- Height-adjustable lights have the advantage that their height can be varied depending on application.
- The pendant luminaire's height is calculated based on room height using a simple formula: room height in centimetres / 4 = height of the pendant luminaire in cm.
- Hanging openly in any interior, it is important that you do not bump your head when walking around. 2 metres distance to the floor is the minimum to be maintained for this purpose.
- Staircases are often somewhat higher. Transport exigencies need to be considered there and ideally a distance of at least 2.30 metres to the floor should be reserved.
- In reading corners or above bedside tables a distance of 75 to 90 cm betweenrom luminaire and table or seat is recommended.
Pendant luminaires in wood, glass, crystal or copper are very popular furnishing elements. Its material influences the look, but so does the type of finish. Industrial look, vintage or country house style? Or better classic, splendid or modern? Whatever you like is allowed.
Tips for choosing a design
You can achieve a harmonious effect if the pendant lamp's style matches that of your interior. But a deliberate break in style can also be very appealing. For example, a traditionally furnished room can look great with an ultra-modern LED pendant luminaire, as can a puristic, modern room embellished with a magnificent, traditional chandelier. First and foremost, it must meets your personal tastes - and there is no other expert for that than yourself.
Here, too, the rule is either "tone in tone" or colour accenting. An interior might have a colour concept in which certain shades or colour groups are repeated. In this case the pendant lamp's colour is best selected according to the second most dominant colour of your furnishings. This will ensure a harmonious overall impression.
A balanced effect is always question of employing the right proportions. Your pendant lamp's ideal size can be calculated with a simple formula based on rom width and height:
W + L in metres x 10 = diameter in centimetres
Example: If a room is 4 metres in width of 4 metres and 5 metres in length, the pendant lamp's diameter should be about 90 cm.
Do you want your pendant luminaire to be single-flame with one illuminant setting the accent? Or would you like a dance of several light globes, for example, illuminating your room even better with multiple flames?
At ORION, you often find matching wall, ceiling, floor or table lamp to go with your pendant lamp from one series to thus create a unified lighting concept in your room.
All ORION lights come with practical, hands-on assembly instructions, include a technical drawing and precise instructions for mounting. Impact or cordless power drills are a must, depending on ceiling construction and material. If you have special requirements we recommend consulting a qualified electrician.